Exhibit A--Vaccinations.
First, they are expensive. To keep ourselves from dying from Malaria we are expected to pay $800 for a pill that isn't even guaranteed to work. Not to mention, two very necessary vaccines are no longer readily available in the U.S. Can they do that? I mean, one of them consists of mouse brains. Yes, you read that correctly, mouse brains. Mouse brains pumped into the human body saves lives from Japanese Encephalitis. (Once infected with this disease there is no cure and can be fatal.) Hmmm...I'm sure we can catch a couple mice in the backyard....anyone up for a little dissection? Oh the biology of it all. In place of this life preserving vaccine, we've been recommended a strong mosquito repellent (to not only spray on our skin but to also drench our clothes in). Phew! I'm totally comfortable putting my life in the hands of a bottle of OFF! This is AMERICA! Is it not their job to give me liberty, freedom, and safety from the diseased?? :)

On top of this, once we get there, there will be no raw foods for us, or tap water....or showers with eyes or mouths open...
Moral of the story: I've been pricked in the arms six times today and I don't feel like I will be any safer than I was before. Sigh. And, I'd like a hug.
Aww Adrienne! :( I guess we'll just have to pray a lot!
ReplyDeleteYour passport photo is perfect and I love your blog so far. You are a very entertaining writer.